LAUGHTER : A Compulsory Laughter
“Laughing is, and will always be, the best form of therapy.”
– Dau Voire
Laughter is considered as one of the strong medicine that bonds people together and drives physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter strengthens one’s immune system, boosts mood, reduces pain, and protects one from stress. Good humor lightens the burdens, inspires hope, establishes a connection, and keeps one grounded, focused, and alert. It also helps to release anger and anxiety. Laughter is a priceless medicine that renews energy. The ability to laugh easily is a resource for conquering problems, enhancing relationships, and supporting both mental and emotional health.
“A day without laughter is a day wasted”- Charlie Chaplin
Everyone should enjoy a good laugh; it’s a great way to make one feel happy. Here are some interesting facts about laughter:
- A burst of excellent and heavy laughter brings more oxygen to the lungs than normal breathing. So laugh out loud!
- The science of laughing is called Gelotology.
- Fifteen minutes of laughing a day can make one lose weight.
- Laughter reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Not only humans, animals like cats, and dogs also laugh.
- Heavy laughter can not only boost mood but also can strengthen the immune system.
- It’s hard to catch one’s breath when we are laughing as our diaphragm spasms.
- We can’t make ourselves laugh by tickling ourselves because the brain predicts our sensation of fingers.
- We cannot produce laughter consciously. Hence, most people can’t laugh on command.
- The ideal number of words in a joke is 103.
- We move 12 facial muscles when we laugh. When we talk and laugh simultaneously, the number increases to 84. This facial exercise stretches the skin and may delay the onset of wrinkles.
- Studies proved that laughter is a sign of goodwill towards others.
Benefits of Laughter
“When you love and laugh abundantly, you live a beautiful life.”
- Laughter relaxes the whole body: A good and hearty laugh relieves tension and stress and calms the soul. Due to laughing, the muscles stay relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter works on the Abs: Laughter helps to tone one’s abs. When we are laughing, the muscles in our stomach expand and contract. This is similar to when we exercise our abs. While exercising, one must include laughter to make it enjoyable.
- Laughter improves Cardiac health: Laughter improves blood vessels’ function and increases blood flow, which helps protect against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems. Laughter is also a great cardio workout for those who are incapable of doing other physical activity due to illness.
So, laugh your heart into health!
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins: Endorphins are the body’s natural painkillers and feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote a sense of well-being and can even relieve pain. By laughing, one can release endorphins, which will help to ease chronic pain and make one feel better.
- Laughter reduces stress hormone levels: By lowering the level of stress hormones, one is simultaneously cutting the anxiety and stress. Also, the reduction of stress hormones results in higher immune system performance.
- Laughter triggers social benefits: Laughter creates bonding that further connects us with others. As smiling shows kindness, laughter is also contagious. So, if one brings laughter into one’s life, one will help others around to laugh more and spread positivity.
How to bring more laughter in life?
- Smiling: Smiling not only shows the act of kindness but also it is the beginning of laughter. When we look at someone or see something that is pleasing, we smile. One should always smile at people while doing any work and spread goodwill.
- Spending fun time with people: One should connect and engage conversations with people who laugh easily both at themselves and at life’s absurdities. Their playful nature and laughter will automatically trigger happiness in one’s mind. Even if one is not humorous, one can seek out people who like to laugh and make others laugh.
- Watching comedy: Watching a funny movie, TV series, or any funny video can make one laugh, which relaxes one’s mind. One can preserve it by remembering it or sharing it with others.
- Join a Laughter Yoga class: Laughing needs to be practiced as an exercise every day. This will not only cut the negativity but also will increase one’s metabolism. The more one gets used to laughing each day, the less stress will reduce adversely.
- Engaging in fun activities: One should make time for fun activities like bowling or karaoke. One can also play with a pet or host a game with friends. These activities will help one interact with others, and also through this, one’s creativity will flourish, and new opportunities for laughing with friends and loved ones will occur to one daily.
“Life is better when you are laughing.”
Laughter is indeed one of the best feelings in the world that brings cheer to life. Whether it’s a smile or just a giggle, laughter completely alters the atmosphere and mood of the surroundings. It makes one feel good and everyone around us. So one should laugh heartily and inculcating laughter in day to day life.